Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Fancy Pants Frames

Here are some awesome frames my hubby made for me!
  1. I used my silhouette to make the templates of these frames.
  2. Then, Garrett cut them out of wood and route the edges all fancy. He routed the back of the frames where the glass was gonna go.
  3. He also had to cut out the glass and the back pieces that covered the glass.
  4. Then we sanded and painted them.
  5. Next, I sanded the edges to rough them up a bit.
  6. Then, I put the hardware on the back. (Picture frame turn buttons, and sawtooth hangers)
  7. And finally we sealed them with polyurethane and hung these bad boys up!
I got my paints from Home Depot in the little tester sizes.

Here are the paint colors I used:
Gray: Glidden "Seal Gray"
Red: Martha Stewart "Maine Lobster"
Orange: Behr "Poppy Glow"
Yellow: Martha Stewart "Pencil"
Green: Behr "Japanese Fern"
Aqua: Martha Stewart "Duck's Egg"
Blue: Behr "Mosaic Tile"
Purple: Martha Stewart "Violet Aster"
Pink: Martha Stewart "Peony"
Brown: Martha Stewart "Chocolate Truffle" (I think this one got discontinued though)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At January 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM , Blogger West Side of Straight said...

What a great job your hubby did, and so nice of him to work with you on your crafts! They look great!

 
At February 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM , Blogger Jessica F said...

These are amazing!! What kind of wood, and wood size did you start with? I am a bit clueless when it comes to that. My husband has a router though, do you need a more industrial router to do the shape? And lastly, what did your husband use to cut the glass? Thanks for sharing and I hope to make these someday!

 
At February 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Christine Peterson said...

Thanks for the comment!! We just used pine wood, a 1x12 piece 6' long that can be cut into 6 frames. We used a stencil to trace out the shape on the wood and cut it out with a jigsaw. If you make a stencil to draw out the shapes make sure to have the middle hole drawn too because that was tricky to center after we cut out the shapes. I went to the organic bloom website and saved the images of their frames to cut out templates. Any standard router will work just pick a router that you like for the decorative cuts on the side. We also used a router to offset the back of the frame so that the glass can sit on the back of the frame, set the depth for your glass piece and backing. It's really hard to cut out oval and circles with glass so we just used the router and chisel to carve a square or rectangle on the back of the oval and circle frames so that we could use a rectangle and square piece of glass. We used a cheap $5 glass cutting tool from home depot to cut the glass, if you ask any of the workers in the store they can show you how to cut it, or try Lowes, they will usually cut custom glass pieces for you if you have the measurements. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions :-) If you happen to have a Silhouette die cutter I created cutting files for the frame templates and if you want them I could send the files to your email!

 
At March 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I know this post is old but I am just finding it through pinterest. Would you be ble to send me the silhouette files?

 
At March 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM , Blogger Christine Peterson said...

Yeah I can send them to you! Just email me at Christinew8@gmail.com

 
At May 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM , Blogger nicole. said...

i have been dying to make some of these. my hubs bought me a jog saw... and i REALLY want glass in them and routed edges.

silhouette, check.
jigsaw, check.
router.... no check :(

was it hard to use the router?

 
At May 2, 2012 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Christine Peterson said...

It's really not that hard to use! Especially if you are able to find someone to show you how to use it. If you want the silhouette files send me an email to Christinew8@gmail.com and I will send them to you, good luck!!

 
At May 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM , Blogger nicole. said...

a jog saw... geeeez. jig. sigh...

yes, i would love files. i'll email you

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home